TMJ is a very common problem suffered by many people all around the world. Amongst the many symptoms of this problem, shooting pain in the jaws is one of the most common symptoms. Every time the patient using his jaws for any purpose like chewing, etc., he or she experiences excruciating pain. There are many doctors who treat this problem and in fact, some of the doctors are specialist in jaw pain treatment.
Problems Associated With TMJ
Some of the problems which are generally associated or are a side effect of the problem of TMJ include the following:
- A clicking or popping noise is made every time you open or close your mouth.
- Chewing becomes difficult, since the opening and closing of the mouth is painful.
- Line swelling can appear on the face.
- Teeth tend to become more sensitive.
- Malocclusion can happen. This happens since the upper and the lower teeth are not able to fit properly.
- Pain is experienced in the ears and head as well.
If proper jaw pain treatment is effected, all of the above problems get solved simultaneously.
Visit A Specialist
One big mistake that many people make is that they feel that since the pain is in the jaws, therefore, any dentist will be able to treat TMJ. This is not correct, as you need to make sure that you get your TMJ treated from a specialist only. Therefore, when you visit the doctor, make sure that he or she has the required experienced in the treatment of TMJ. Some of the factors which one should bear in mind when visiting a doctor are as follows:
- Seek help from a qualified doctor only.
- Provide the doctor with all the details of the symptoms, no matter how insignificant they may seem to you.
- Do not delay the treatment process, as with the passage of time, the problem keeps getting aggravated and the treatment for the same becomes more and more difficult.
Correct Diagnosis Is Important
There are many causes and reasons because of which TMJ can occur. The exact place of origin of the problem can also be multiple and therefore, the initial detection of the problem and finding out the exact source of it is difficult. However, it is also very important that a proper diagnosis is made and the root cause of the problem is known, otherwise, you may end up spending months in jaw pain treatment and yet not feel any relief.
The first time a person feels a pain in his or her jaws, it is natural to visit a dentist for the same. It is the duty of the dentist to detect the problem and refer the patient immediately to a TMJ specialist or a neurologist. The cause of TMJ is different in different patients and the symptoms shown may also vary. Therefore, there is no fixed treatment procedure which has been laid down for the treatment of the same. The doctor needs to understand the causes and symptoms of the patient on a case to case basis and then accordingly design treatment plans which are most suitable for that particular patient.