Mandible bone is the biggest bone of the face and happens to be the toughest bone of the face. The purpose of this bone is to support the lower teeth and it moves on a hard tissue. Any misalignment in this joint known as temporomandibular (TMJ) and can be a result of any sort of trauma or bad bite, among many other causes. The most common symptoms of this disease are headache, depression, anxiety. For the cure of this problem, diagnosis is very important and accordingly an individualized treatment plan for the patient. There are many surgical and non-surgical treatments are available for the treatment of TMJ. However, for short-term treatment anti-inflammatories are able to provide instant relief and do have many side effects associated with them, if used for too long.
Many patients use home remedies instead of taking antibiotics to avoid the harmful side effects of anti-inflammatories. A holistic TMJ therapy for tackling this problem consists of four different attacks on the disease.
The first mode is exercise. Some of the exercises for the treatment of the TMJ are the following:
- Open the mouth wide as you can open easily without pain and then move the lower jaw to right side and hold for 10 seconds. Now slowly bring it back to the center and then move it to the left and stay there for 10 seconds, repeat this for 4-5 times.
- Massage the jaw hinge muscle on both the sides alternately, with your right hand index finger.
- Roll your tongue inside the mouth without causing any pain.
- Move the chin first up and down and then sideways for one minute each.
- Yawn as widely as possible without hurting and with each repetition; reduce the size of the yawn.
Besides the above exercises for the jaws, it is also important that exercises, which provide relaxation to the spinal cord and the nervous system since stress is believed to be one of the major causes of TMJ.
Improve Eating Habits
The third mode of attack on TMJ is through bringing about an improvement in the dietary habits and eliminating all nutritional deficiencies from the body. These deficiencies can aggravate the problem of TMJ. Following are some of the changes required in the food habits-
- Your body stays hydrated at all times.so you can increase your water intake.
- Increase the intake of magnesium rich food.
- Increased Calcium intake.
- Supplements of Vitamin B complex and Glucosamine Sulfate should be taken.
Certain life style changes like improving body posture and going in for regular body or hot and cold massages can help in treating TMJ. Besides this increase intake of fruits, avoid smoking and chewing of gums and use proper pillows for sleeping.
There are many herbs which can also help in curing TMJ. These herbs include Rhus Toxicodendron, Valerian Officinalis, Magnesia Phosphorica, Kava, Kali Phosphorica and Methylsulfonylmethane.
PLEASE NOTE: THAT THE ABOVE STATED EXERCISES AND HELPS ARE NOT TESTED BY US BUT ARE REPORTED ON INTERNET BY COLLEAGUES. WE AT OUR CENTER BELIEVE IN DENTAL BITE CORRECTION-DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY AS THE PRIMARY MODE OF CURE.